Westminster Mutual Insurance Company has been taking care of insurance needs in an individual way for over 150 years. Operating on a foundation of honesty, integrity, and community-based principles, we maintain the highest standards of personal service, never losing sight of the importance of the “Neighbour Helping Neighbour” approach.
We are looking for a professional, motivated, and team-oriented individual to take on the role of Controller. Reporting to the President & CEO, you will be responsible for the planning, direction, and completion of all accounting, financial reporting, and day-to-day departmental functions.
You will be a key member of the Management Team, providing strong support to the President & CEO. The role assists in setting and implementing strategy for the Company, while providing operational leadership within and beyond the functional responsibilities. The Controller provides guidance and direction to two direct reports.
This is a great long-term career opportunity where you can apply your knowledge of accounting principles, and commitment to ongoing learning and development in a rewarding way.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Generate quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and regulatory reports
- Complete journal entries, recording all accounting transactions, ensuring accuracy
- Prepare and complete the Company audit file, liaising with appointed external auditors
- Maintain effective internal controls to ensure compliance with IFRS and applicable regulations
- Responsible for payroll and benefits administration and reporting
- Support the administration of investment and asset management by third parties
- Act as the central point of contact for IT related issues, responding to internal queries as needed
- Provide leadership to team members, managing and monitoring workflows and output quality
WHAT YOU BRING
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation, or an equivalent combination of professional experience and education
- 3+ years accounting and finance supervisory experience
- 4+ years progressive financial services industry experience (direct / indirect)
- Proficiency in MS Office suite and a high degree of comfort with IT related queries and systems
- Experience with online banking, investment management, and payroll platforms
- Prior industry experience an asset, ideally with knowledge of P&C operating systems
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills
- A positive, ‘can do’ attitude
WHAT WE OFFER
- A friendly, community-oriented workplace
- Comprehensive benefits
- Competitive Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Hybrid work environment
JOIN OUR TEAM!
Interested? Please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your unique qualifications, experience and energy to WestminsterCareers@engagehr.com
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so we can provide equitable opportunities.