The reason we have insurance is to give you peace of mind!
Westminster Mutual provides excellent claims service that is friendly, fair, and consistent.

Property Loss – What to do

  1. Contact your Agent or Broker.
    If after hours, contact the 24-hour Emergency Service at 1-877-488-6642. An adjuster will be assigned at the earliest opportunity. A prompt and fair loss adjustment is made easier when the damages are seen before repairs have begun.
  2. If your loss is water related (sewer/septic backup or sudden water escape) your first priority is to prevent further damage. This could be shutting your water off and making sure your floor drain is clear. It is your responsibility to remove items to prevent further damage if it is safe to do so. Removing water with wet shop vacs and/or submersible pumps is appropriate. Taking reasonable steps to lessen or mitigate any loss is your responsibility.
  3. If the loss is due to theft, burglary, robbery or vandalism contact the police, then follow step 1.
  4. In the case of Livestock death notify your veterinarian before moving the animal as a veterinarian certificate will be required, then follow step 1.

Helping to prevent delays

Keep inventory, pictures, insurance policies and other valuable papers in a safe place (ideally in a fire proof safe).

Pictures are excellent. Record by video. Take photographs of your property. Your agent or broker will help with this as well.

Send any pictures, lists, video, etc to your Agent or Broker and they can easily attach it to your file

Remember, should a loss occur, it is up to you to prove your loss. This will help in the event of a loss and assist the Insurance Adjuster.

Automobile loss and Police Reporting Centre

A Police Reporting Centre is a facility where the public in the London area report traffic collisions and other types of occurrences. If the collision occurs outside the London area, the O.P.P. must be called.

A driver involved in a property damage collision will report the collision at the Police Reporting Centre during business hours, with the following exceptions:

Police will attend collisions involving:

  • Injury or death.
  • Criminal activity (ie: impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault).
  • Vehicles transporting dangerous goods.
  • Damage to private, municipal or highway property.

Before attending the police reporting centre, the following steps should be taken:

  • Check the exceptions above.
  • If safe to do so, remove vehicle from roadway/immediate danger.
  • Exchange information with other involved parties, including independent witnesses.
  • Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance, and vehicle particulars.
  • As soon as possible, drive to or have vehicle towed to the police reporting centre. Ensure you know where your vehicle will be towed (ie: body shop, towing compound).
  • Bring your documentation with you to the police reporting centre, ie. drivers licence, ownership and insurance.

Unless a police report has been made during business hours, towed vehicles must go directly to the police reporting centre from the scene of a collision.

All other accidents or collisions should be reported to the local police reporting centre. If damage is over $1,500.00 all involved parties must report to the local police reporting centre within 24 hours.